Sunday, November 15, 2009

Green Chili with Pork

I've been so busy, I never update my blog anymore! So sad, I know. I still can't find my camera charger, but to be perfectly honest, I haven't looked that hard. It's dark by the time I get home these days, so the pictures wouldn't be so pretty anyway.

I made Ree's Spicy Shredded Pork a week or two ago (which is delicious, of course) and used the rest in the following recipe I found on Tasty Kitchen. I had never made roasted poblano peppers, but I love cooking with new things. I'm actually making it again tonight (halving the recipe) with left over pork I made in the crockpot from Thursday.

Green Chili with Pork
candykettle on Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients
1/4 cups Olive Oil
2 whole Yellow Onions
8 whole Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Minced
8 whole Jalapeno Peppers, Stemmed And Minced
3 whole Carrots, Peeled And Sliced Crosswise Into 1/2" Pieces
1-1/2 Tablespoon Oregano
3 pounds Boneless Pork Loin, Cut Into 1/2" Cubes
5 cups Chicken Stock, Homemade Or Canned
28 ounces, weight Canned Plum Tomatoes, Crushed And Well Drained
1 whole Potato, About 8 Oz, Peeled And Grated
12 whole Poblano Peppers, Roasted And Peeled - instructions here
Salt To Taste
Cumin To Taste (if you like cumin)

Directions
(Roast poblano peppers by turning them on an open flame of a gas burner or grill until charred. Wrap the chilies in a paper bag. When cool, peel charred skin from the peppers. Stem and seed the peppers, and slice or chop.)

In a 5-quart heavy stock pot, warm the oil. Add the onions, garlic, jalapenos and carrots and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes. Stir in oregano and the pork cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat has lost all pink color, about 20 minutes.

Stir in the chicken stock, salt, cumin, tomatoes, and the grated potato. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours.

Cut the poblanos into 1/2″ strips. (I would dice them up, it is a little strange having long strips of poblano peppers in a soup.) Add them to the chili and cook, stirring often, for another 30 to 45 minutes, or until the pork is tender and the chili has thickened to your liking.

Serve topped with sour cream. Warm crusty garlic bread goes well with this soup, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment