Friday, August 7, 2009

Cheeseburger Soup


Every time I make this, I think about changing the name. Whenever I tell people that I'm making cheeseburger soup for dinner, they always give me a fake smile and "mmm". I know what they are thinking. I mean really. Can you imagine putting a cheeseburger in the blender and eating it as soup? I'll admit. That sounds kind of gross. I really don't know why this is called cheeseburger soup... I sure can't remember the last time I had carrots, celery, and potatoes on my burger... but anyway. Here it is. The awesome cheeseburger soup. :o)

Cheeseburger Soup
From some magazine years ago

Ingredients
3/4 lb ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon parsley
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups Velveeta cheese, cubed (or one bag Velveeta shreds)
1 cup milk
salt and pepper
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions
Brown ground beef and set aside. In the same pan, heat olive oil. Saute the onions, carrots, celery, basil, and parsley in the olive oil until the vegetables are tender. Add the broth, potatoes, and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

In a small skillet, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook until bubbly. Add to soup and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; add cheese, milk and salt and pepper to taste. When the cheese has melted, remove from heat and blend in the sour cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment