Monday, March 8, 2010

Carnitas

So so so good. I still don't understand how these ingredients make such delicious, flavorful pork. I thought I had cilantro in our fridge, but it had gone bad. So, for those cilantro haters, you can still enjoy this recipe! I had it again for lunch, and it does great for leftovers too. Pork butt was on sale for $0.88/lb at Kroger this week, so that's what I used. I spend about an hour cutting all of the fat out though. I bet it would work just fine with a pork loin. Whenever it goes on sale for $1/lb, you know what I'll be making!

Carnitas

Tasty Kitchen member The Noshery

Ingredients
3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into cubes
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 whole lime, juiced
7 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp cumin
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup chicken or beef stock
2 Tbsp olive oil

Directions
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients (except olive oil) and stir. (I browned the meat before I added it to the slow cooker, but this is not a necessary step.) Arrange the pork so it sits as a single layer at the bottom of the pot. Set slow cooker to High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours.

Once the pork is done, it should be tender enough that you can shred it with a spoon. Heat a pan with the olive oil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork from the pot to the pan in batches. Fry the pork until brown and crispy, breaking it up as you fry it. Do not crowd the pan with pork for best results. (You do not have to do this step. It still tasted delicious before this step, but I did it anyway.)

Serve on tortillas garnished with chopped onions, avocado, fresh cilantro and lime wedge. (I served them with guacamole, sour cream, Chipotle cilantro-lime rice, and cheese.)

No comments:

Post a Comment