Monday, June 15, 2009

Grandma's Rice Dish

Another really good recipe from the Dean's! 3 for 3! :o) Honestly, I was nervous about this one when I was making it, but it was delicious! I don't have a final picture for you this time though because I was impatient, grabbed a towel instead of an oven mit, and didn't have a good grip on the pan when I was bringing it out of the oven... and dropped it... losing 1/3 of it onto the bottom of the oven. I'll post a picture when I make it again. Brett told me to say that will be soon! Anyway, here's the recipe:

Grandma's Rice Dish
6-8 servings

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cup cooked long grain rice
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (11 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp butter, melted

In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, tomatoes, corn, olives, bacon, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Add 1 cup cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Transfer to a greased 11in x 7in x 2in baking dish.


Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!

    BTW, you can check out You Data at www.youdata.com . There is actually a signup link on YourCouponBuddy if you'd like to sign up under us *wink*. You just view a couple of ads and they credit your account with a few cents anywhere from 10¢-15¢ sometimes more. It adds up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather. I will sign up in a few weeks when I have more time to surf the web!

    ReplyDelete