Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak


This is one of my favorite recipes!! I only make it when I can get the round steak on sale (which hasn't been very often).

Slow-Cooked Pepper Steak
(Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook)

Ingredients
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. beef round steak, cut in 3" x 1" strips (buy it tenderized if they have it)
2 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup chopped onions
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 large green peppers, cut in strips
4 tomatoes cut into eighths, or 16-oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup cold water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
Rice or noodles (I make fried rice)

Directions
1. Brown beef in oil in saucepan. Transfer to slow cooker.


(I usually use more beef, but this was the only package left at Albertson's - 1.4 lb.)

2. Combine soy sauce, garlic, onions, sugar, salt, pepper, and ginger. Pour over meat.


3. Cover. Cook on Low 5-6 hours.
4. Add green peppers and tomatoes. Cook 1 hour longer.


5. Combine water and cornstarch to make paste. Stir into slow cooker. Cook on High until thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. Serve over rice or noodles. I usually put 2 1/2 to 3 cups rice in my rice maker. (We like lots of rice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment